PAULDING COUNTY LAND REUTILIZATION CORPORATION:
The Paulding County Commissioners formed this corporation (also known as Paulding County Land Bank) in order to reclaim, rehabilitate and reutilize vacant, abandoned, tax-foreclosed, or other real property in the County. The County received $350,000 to acquire and demolish these structures. This writer submitted several vacant and dilapidated houses to be considered for acquisition and demolition by the county land bank. Two property owners have verbally agreed to sign their properties over to the land bank. These two properties are located at 109 E. Daggett owned by Linda Miller and the other located at 114 E. Woodcox owned by Ed Snyder. The County is in the process of hiring a title search company and as they further set up this program, these homes will be signed over to the land bank with the ultimate goal that the structures will be demolished and filled in. The land bank can be maintained by the county for up to three years. The Village will not be responsible for the ownership or upkeep of these two properties. The vacant lots can then be transferred to either: Adjacent property owners, local government or non-profit organization for public use or to a private entity for business or residential development. I will keep council updated as these properties go through the land bank system.
ODOT TRANSPORTATION PROGRAM FOR SIDEWALKS ON S. ERIE:
Ellen Smith of Maumee Valley Planning Organization brought to the undersigned’s attention that a ODOT Transportation Alternatives Program may be a program that could help bring sidewalks from Water Plant Drive to Dollar General on S. Erie Street. The program could provide up to 95 percent of the construction cost with the Village providing the remaining 5 percent of the construction cost and all costs associated with the engineering plans, environmental studies and right-of-way plans and acquisition, if required. A letter of intent would be due on February 2, 2018 if the village would want to pursue funding to complete sidewalks to the Dollar General area. I would like to apply for this funding and submit a letter of intent in February.
ANTWERP BRANCH LIBRARY SEEKS ASSISTANCE ON AN AUTOMATIC DOOR:
Sara Molitor-Newman from the Antwerp Branch Library and Friends of the Library is on the agenda for Monday night’a council meeting. The library would like to have installed an automatic door. When I spoke to the library they weren’t sure of what all the Village, as the owner of the library, could assist with. Mrs. Molitor-Newman stated she hoped to have some estimates for Monday night’s meeting. I had suggested that it might be a joint project with the village funding a portion of the project. We will see what is presented Monday night. It should be noted that we are currently looking at replacing the old fluorescent lighting with new l.e.d. fixtures as we have high electric bills at the library. That estimate to replace all the lighting in the library is $8,000 and AEP would give us a rebate of approximately $1,000.
REAL WASTE RECYCLING IN THE VILLAGE TO START PICK UP:
Residents who have contacted Real Waste to take advantage of the free recycling pick up should have had their containers dropped off the week of December 11th. The first pick up will be the last Friday of December, (12/29/17) due to the Christmas Day holiday and from then on it would be the same day as regular pick up in the Village.
REMINDER OF JANUARY COUNCIL MEETING MOVED DUE TO HOLIDAY:
The January, 2018 council meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. due to the Martin Luther King holiday on 1/15/18.