RESOLUTION NO. 2018-01
A RESOLUTION OF NECESSITY TO LEVY A TAX THAT IS A RENEWAL
OF AN EXISTING LEVY IN EXCESS OF THE TEN-MILL LIMITATION
FOR THE PURPOSE OF POLICE PROTECTION, AND DECLARING
THE SAME AN EMERGENCY
(R.C. §§ 5705.03, 5705.19(J), 5705.191, 5705.192, and 5705.25)
The Council of the Village of Antwerp, Paulding County, Ohio (“Council”), met in regular session on April 16, 2018, with the following members present:
________________________ moved the adoption of the following Resolution:
WHEREAS, the amount of taxes that will be raised within the ten-mill limitation will be insufficient to provide for the necessary requirements of the Village of Antwerp, Paulding County, Ohio (“Village”); and,
WHEREAS, it is necessary to levy a tax in excess of the ten-mill limitation; and,
WHEREAS, the levy would be for the purpose of police protection, said purpose being authorized by R.C. § 5705.19(J); and,
WHEREAS, a resolution declaring the necessity of levying a tax that is a renewal of an existing levy, pursuant to R.C. § 5705.19(J), outside the ten-mill limitation must be approved and certified to the Paulding County Auditor (“Auditor”) in order to permit the Council to consider the levy of such a tax and must request that the Auditor certify to the Council the total current tax valuation of the Village, and the number of mills required to generate a specified amount of revenue, or the dollar amount of revenue that would be generated by a specified number of mills.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the Council, at least two-thirds (2/3rds) of all of the members of the Council concurring, as follows:
1. The amount of taxes that will be raised within the ten-mill limitation will be insufficient to provide for the necessary requirements of the Village.
2. It is necessary to levy a tax in excess of the ten-mill limitation.
3. Pursuant to R.C. § 5705.03(B)(l):
a. The purpose of the tax is as follows: To provide and maintain equipment used in the operation of the police department, for the payment of salaries to operate the same, and for all other expenses necessary to operate the police department and provide police protection in the Village.
b. The type of levy is as follows:
________ additional levy
X renewal levy: ______increase ______decrease
________ replacement levy: ______increase ______decrease
c. The sections of the Revised Code authorizing submission of the question of the tax are R.C. §§ 5705.03, 5705.191, and 5705.25 and the following:
d. The term of the tax is as follows (in years or continuing):
e. The territory where the tax is to be levied is as follows:
X Upon the entire territory of the Village
_______ If authorized by the Revised Code, the following described portion of the territory of the Village:
f. The date of the election at which the question of the tax shall appear on the ballot is as follows:
November 6, 2018
g. The territory where the ballot measure is to be submitted is as follows:
X Upon the entire territory of the Village
________ If authorized by the Revised Code, the following described portion of the territory of the Village:
h. The tax will be first levied and collected as follows:
The tax year in which the tax will first be levied is 2019; and
The calendar year in which the tax will first be collected is 2020.
i. The Village has territory in Paulding County and each of the following listed counties: None other than Paulding County.
4. Pursuant to R.C. § 5705.03(B)(l), the Fiscal Officer is hereby directed to certify a copy of this Resolution to the Auditor. The Council hereby requests that the Auditor certify to this Council the following:
a. The total current tax valuation of the Village;
b. The number of mills required to generate the following amount of revenue; or,
c. The dollar amount of revenue that would be generated by the levy of the following mills: two-mills.
5. All formal actions of this Council concerning and relating to the passage of this Resolution were adopted in an open meeting of the Council, and all deliberations of this Council and of any of its committees that resulted in such formal action were in meetings open to the public in compliance with all legal requirements, including R.C. § 121.22.
6. This Resolution is hereby declared to be an emergency measure for the immediate preservation of the public health, safety, and welfare of the Village, and for the further reason that the County Auditor’s certification requested herein must be obtained as soon as possible to allow the Council to timely determine whether to proceed with the question of levying a tax in excess of the ten‑mill limitation for the purpose of police protection, and this Resolution shall be in full force and effect after its passage; otherwise, it shall take effect and be in force after the earliest period allowed by law.
______________________________ seconded the motion.
Voted on and signed this 16th day of April, 2018, Village of Antwerp, Paulding County, Ohio.
RAY DELONG, MAYOR OF THE VILLAGE OF ANTWERP
AIMEE LICHTY, FISCAL OFFICER
State of Ohio
I, the undersigned Fiscal Officer of the Village of Antwerp, Paulding County, Ohio, hereby certify that the foregoing Resolution No. 2018‑_________________ is taken and copied from the record of proceedings of the Council of the Village of Antwerp, Paulding County, Ohio, and that it has been compared by me with the Resolution on the record and is a true and accurate copy. Further, I certify that the adoption of such Resolution occurred in an open meeting held in compliance with R.C. § 121.22.
Aimee Lichty, Fiscal Officer of the Village of Antwerp, Paulding County, Ohi